Top-51 Commercial Foods for Allergic and Sensitive Dogs in 2020
Allergy is an annoying issue that can affect both people and pets, especially highbred dogs and cats. It causes various changes in the condition – itching, sneezing, coughing, eye-watering, etc. Most frequently, allergic reactions are caused by consuming certain types of food. Common allergens for dogs are grains, chicken, eggs, milk/dairy products, and beef. The best way to get rid of the symptoms is to exclude the allergen(s) from the daily diet completely.
Table of Contents:
10-ый товар Barking at the Moon® with Beef by Solid Gold
20-ый товар Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
30-ый товар Wellness Simple Natural Dry Limited Ingredient Dog Food
40-ый товар Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
50-ый товар Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food
If you feed your dog with natural food, finding an optimal balance between the sufficient nutrition value and safety is quite a challenge. That is why experts recommend using special commercial food. Fortunately, many manufacturers have opened special product lines of food for allergic and sensitive dogs. Commonly, these are grain-free products or limited-ingredient foods. The latter consist of a limited number of components – usually, one sort of meat or fish and one type of carbs.
If you think that good non-allergic foods are difficult to find, we have good news for you. The number of brands that offer solutions for pets with special needs is constantly growing. Thus, we’ve revealed 50+ decent foods for allergic dogs, and we are happy to share this information with other loving pet parents. All the brands are highly estimated by real dog owners and all of them are currently available on Amazon and other similar platforms.
1. Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
This is a premium dog food, consisting of high-quality natural components. A smaller number of ingredients make it suitable for canines with a food allergy or intolerance of certain proteins or carbohydrates. The only protein source here is salmon, while potatoes act as a carb source. The product is free of taste modifiers and flavoring agents, as well as eggs, poultry, and grains.
- the only protein source in the form of salmon;
- contains probiotics and prebiotics;
- free of common allergens, including wheat, soy, corn, etc.
2. Blue Buffalo Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo is a natural food with a high content of healthy proteins. Its number one ingredient is always meat or fish (chicken or salmon). Apart from it, the product’s formula includes vegetables, fruit, and a vitamin-mineral complex, which has a powerful antioxidant effect and boosts the immune system. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids make the fur glossy and beautiful.
- natural meat is the number one ingredient;
- doesn’t contain corn, grains or soy;
- a perfect ratio of healthy proteins and carbohydrates.
3. Taste of the Wild Grain Free Premium Dry Dog Food Pacific Stream Adult
Nothing can be compared with the taste and flavor of real meat – lamb, venison, or salmon. The name “Taste of the Wild” speaks for itself. In addition to meat, which is #1 ingredient, this food contains organic vegetables and fruit, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fatty acids. Thanks to the increased content of meat, the nutritional value of the product is very high.
- natural taste and flavor of genuine meat;
- no grain, corn, poultry, egg powder, and other allergens;
- a high nutritional value.
4. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited-Ingredient Dry Adult Dog Food
This option from Blue Buffalo is a salvation for the canines that are over-sensitive to particular ingredients. The product contains the minimal possible number of ingredients – one type of meat and one core source of carbs. An increased share of fiber in the form of peas and pumpkin stimulate bowel movement and improve digestion.
- a special limited-ingredient formula;
- healthy fibers for easier digestion;
- free of common allergens – eggs, grains, poultry, etc.
5. NomNomNow Heartland Beef Mash
If your canine has no allergy for beef and eggs, you may offer him this delicious grain-free lunch. Juicy beef combined with fresh natural vegetables (carrots, green peas, and potatoes) will please any pup. Mind that the product contains eggs, but it is free of gluten, grains, and corn. Other flavors are also available.
- a nutrient-rich product;
- natural meat is #1 ingredient;
- contains useful fatty acids.
6. Brothers Complete Advanced Allergy Care
The food has a high nutritional value while being free of grains and potatoes, which makes it a perfect choice for feeding dogs that are sensitive to these products. At the same time, it contains a lot of useful proteins (90% of them are animal-based) and probiotics. Mind that the food is not egg-free.
- GMO- and grain-free formula;
- 90% of animal-based proteins;
- useful probiotics make the digestion more comfortable.
7. Dogswell Nutrisca Dog Food, Lamb and Chickpea
The main ingredient of this premium product is organic lamb meat, which is free of antibiotics and hormones. Allergic components, such as grains and corn, are substituted with chickpeas. The food contains natural salmon oil rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6. It protects and strengthens the pup’s immune system.
- high-grade meat components;
- chickpeas instead of grains and corn;
- fatty acids are beneficial for skin and hair condition.
8. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs
This is another great product with a grain-free formula. It contains no soy, wheat, and corn, do its glycemic index is very low. Instead of chicken, which often causes allergic reactions, the main meat ingredient is lamb. The food is rich in vitamins and minerals, including selenium and vitamin E. Probiotics help pets to digest the food.
- free of major allergens (gluten, poultry);
- rich in vitamins and minerals;
- probiotics have a healing effect.
9. CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food
The limited-ingredient product is designed specially for the canines with a high sensitivity to particular ingredients. The food is available in three taste options: bison, lamb, and duck. It contains just 7 components plus vitamins and useful minerals. Allergens, such as corn, wheat, soy, eggs, and chicken are excluded.
- only 7 core ingredients;
- no taste modifiers and artificial flavorings;
- no strong allergens.
10. Barking at the Moon® with Beef by Solid Gold
Solid Gold is a well-established brand with a long history. Its Barking at the Moon product line is designed for the dogs with an increased sensitivity to gluten. This is a grain-free food, prepared from natural ingredients of high quality – boneless beef, eggs, and green peas. All in all, it contains 20 superfoods.
- no grain, soy, and corn;
- natural beef as a major protein source;
- high nutritional value.
11. Halo Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food
Did you know that so-called “meat meals” has little to do with genuine meat? This is a powder containing processed meat and various additions that are poorly digested and have low nutritional value. Halo Spot’s Stew Grain-Free contains only whole meat, fish, chickpeas, and organic vegetable. The product is perfectly digestible and suits for allergic pups.
- only whole meat, fish, and poultry,
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 for healthy skin & fur;
- a gluten-free formula.
12. Fitapet Allergy Relief for Itchy Dogs
As the name implies, this product is created specially for allergic dogs. This is not food, but a nutritional supplement, which contains all the essential vitamins and minerals. Dogs who are on a limited-ingredient diet often suffer from a deficiency of certain nutrients. This natural supplement strengthens the immune system and relieves the symptoms of food allergy.
- relieves itching and inflammation;
- rich in essential minerals and vitamins;
- a grain-free formula.
13. FirstMate Australian Lamb Dog Food
This dog food boasts not only its gluten-free non-allergic formula but also an unusual composition. It contains ingredients that are a sort of uncommon in canine food – berries. The latter ones are known as powerful natural antioxidants. They make the immune system stronger and prevent many dangerous conditions.
- meat-and-berries formula;
- no allergic grains;
- contains natural antioxidants and vitamins.
14. Hill’s Prescription Diet d/d Canine Skin Support Potato & Venison
Dogs with severe nutrition problems or food allergies need special medicated food. This product from Hill is prescribed to sick pups or those suffering from frequent allergic reactions. It contains the only protein source (whole venison) and essential nutrients, including Omega-3 and Omega-6.
- a prescription food for allergic and sick canines;
- venison as a core meat component;
- relieves itching, improves skin and hair state.
15. Hill’s Diet i/d Low Fat GI Restore Dry Dog Food
This is another medicated food from Hill’s Pet Nutrition. Its formula is specially developed for dogs suffering from various digestive tract disorders. It boasts a lower fat content – the core meat ingredient is low-fat chicken. The carbohydrate sources are rice and high-quality grains. You’d better consult your vet before ordering this product.
- contain ginger that improves digestion;
- a low-fat formula;
- the effectiveness is proven clinically.
16. Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Canine Dry Dog Food
Obesity is often caused by metabolic disorders. This prescription food from Hill’s works in two directions: it improves metabolism and simultaneously reduces the sense of hunger. The product has a healthy low-fat formula and comes with various flavors.
- helps to lose weight;
- improves metabolism;
- high-quality natural ingredients.
17. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
This is a budget-friendly food for the pups with small through medium digestion problems. If your dog is overall healthy. It contains chicken meals, instead of wholesome chicken, and barley. That said, it has no synthetic components, such as artificial flavorings and taste modifiers.
- all-natural formula;
- has a beneficial effect on digestion;
- contains some essential vitamins.
18. Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d Original Skin Food Sensitivities Dry Dog Food
If your dog is allergic or over-sensitive to certain types of proteins, chances are your vet will prescribe you this Hill’s option. It contains only one sort of meat – natural chicken liver, which doesn’t cause allergic reactions. The effectiveness and safety are clinically proved.
- doesn’t contain common allergens;
- approved by vets;
- chicken liver is the protein source.
19. Hills Z/D ULTRA Allergen-Free Dog Food
This option is prescribed to dogs with severe allergic reactions to whole proteins. The source of animal protein here is natural chicken liver. But it is hydrolyzed and broken down for better digestibility. This is one of the few 100% allergen-free dry foods.
- 100% free of allergens;
- contains hydrolyzed animal protein;
- prescribed by a vet.
20. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
The most common protein allergens for dogs are beef and poultry. This natural dry food contains lamb as the only protein source. Natural plant fiber (pumpkin, pomegranate, and papaya) improve the bowel movement, and prebiotics and probiotics prevent digestion problems.
- a low-allergen lamb + vegetables formula;
- contains Omega-3 and Omega-6;
- with probiotics and prebiotics.
21. I and Love and You – Beef Booyah Stew Grain Free Canned Dog Food
This wet food is proudly made in the USA. It is safe for allergic and over-sensitive pups, thanks to its grain-free all-natural formula. The product contains genuine meat, vegetables (excluding white potatoes), and essential micronutrients. It is free of carrageenan, meat by-products, and taste modifiers.
- a safe gluten-free formula;
- only natural ingredients;
- genuine meat as a core protein source.
22. Taste of the Wild, Canine Formula
Genuine meat of wild animals is the best food for dogs. The dog food from Taste of the Wild contains real roasted venison or bison as the main ingredient. Additionally, its formula includes real berries, such as blueberries and raspberries, which boast unique antioxidant properties. The product is gluten-free and contains only natural ingredients.
- the core ingredient is genuine roasted meat of wild animals;
- natural berries with a high content of vitamins and antioxidants;
- free of strong allergens – gluten, chicken, and beef.
23. Instinct Limited Ingredient Natural Dry Dog Food by Nature’s Variety
This is another product where the technology of freeze-drying is used to preserve the benefits of raw meat. The food is free of all common allergens. Its main component is natural duck meat. No grains, eggs, chicken or fish is used. Omega 3, 6, and other essential micronutrients positively affect the pooch’s health.
- suits for sensitive dogs;
- natural raw meat of duck;
- no allergic components used.
24. Instinct Original Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food by Nature’s Variety
One more dog food with freeze-dried genuine meat. The product has a high nutritional value; most useful components are preserved. 70% of the food is real raw meat, fish, or poultry. Also contains useful vegetables, oils, and micronutrients. Free of grains, fillers, taste modifiers, meat by-products, and other useless and allergic ingredients.
- the share of genuine raw meat is 70%;
- free of grains and white potatoes;
- contains useful micronutrients and Omega 3-6 fatty acids.
25. Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food by Nature’s Variety
This is a low-budget variation of the previous products. The dry food is also made of raw meat with minimal processing, but it also contains meat meals (powder), which is a lower-quality component. A dog with a protein allergy can react it. That said, the product is grain- and gluten-free.
- no gluten, artificial flavorings and modifiers;
- real raw meat with minimal processing;
- contains some meat meals.
26. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Wet Dog Food
This is limited-ingredient wet dog food made of high-quality and useful ingredients. The source of animal protein is real chicken. Sweet potatoes and peas are useful easily digestible vegetables. The food doesn’t contain allergens in the form of grains, so, and meat by-products.
- wet dog food with real meat;
- chicken, sweet potatoes & peas formula;
- no corn, soy or wheat.
27. Merrick Dry Dog Food
This dry food boasts a limited number of potential allergens – the only animal protein source is chicken. Additionally, the product is rich in essential minerals and vitamins. In particular, it has a high content of glucosamine and chondroitin, which strengthen the joints. Omega 3 and 6 improve skin and fur condition.
- a limited number of meat ingredients;
- a rich vitamin-mineral content;
- free of gluten and white potatoes.
28. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food (Sweet Potato & Venison)
The low-allergen effect of this food is reached through the use of venison instead of chicken and beef, which often cause allergic reactions in dogs. Sweet potatoes, in turn, improves digestion, thanks to the high content of natural fiber. The food doesn’t contain grains, which are dangerous allergens – wheat, soy, corn, etc.
- fewer ingredients;
- venison as a low-allergen protein source;
- sweet potatoes as a source of fiber.
29. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food (Potato & Duck)
If your canine is oversensitive to chicken, you can try this natural food where it is substituted with duck. Potatoes are used as a source of fiber and carbohydrates. The product is grain-free and contains no artificial fillers, flavorings, and taste modifiers.
- duck and duck meals as a low-allergen protein source;
- a no-grain gluten-free formula;
- Omega-3 and 6, vitamins, and minerals.
30. Wellness Simple Natural Dry Limited Ingredient Dog Food
Allergic dogs need a special diet containing a limited number of products. This Simple Natural dog food has the only animal protein source – lamb. Probiotics and prebiotics stimulate digestion and relieve the symptoms of food allergy. Oatmeal is a gluten-free cereal, which contains tons of useful micronutrients.
- a limited-ingredient product;
- lamb & oatmeal formula;
- with prebiotics and probiotics.
31. Nulo Grain Free Senior Dog Food
Senior dogs often have special dietary needs. This grain-free nutrition is known for an increased content of glucosamine and chondroitin, which have a beneficial effect on bones and joints. Omega 3 and 6 acids positively influence the brains as well as skin and fur condition. Probiotics and prebiotics stimulate digestion.
- natural trout as a protein source;
- contains probiotics and prebiotics;
- sweet potatoes instead of high-allergen grains.
32. NUTRO Limited Ingredient Diet Adult Dry Dog Food
This dog food contains no more than 10 core ingredients with high nutritional value, as well as essential vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients. The combination of lamb and sweet potatoes makes a low-allergen product. The food is free of artificial flavors, grains, and allergic sorts of meat, such as poultry and beef.
- no more than 10 core ingredients;
- low glycemic index;
- low glycemic index;
33. NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS Adult Dry Dog Food
Though this food is not marketed as an allergen-free product, it is recommended for use by sensitive and allergic dogs. The core ingredient of the food is whole lamb or venison – both are known for their good digestibility. Additionally, its formula is enriched with antioxidants and vitamins. The product is gluten-free and doesn’t contain corn, soy, wheat, and GMO vegetables.
- whole meat as a key ingredient;
- no chicken meals, grains, and other strong allergens;
- contains antioxidants and essential vitamins.
34. Iams ProActive Health Sensitive Skin & Stomach Grain Free Dog Food
As the name suggests, this product is oriented to the dogs with stomach and skin problems. It contains real chicken (not by-products), farm vegetables, vitamins, and minerals. The food is free of grains, which is important for the pets that are allergic to gluten.
- high-grade natural ingredients;
- no fillers and by-products;
- has a beneficial effect on skin and soothes the symptoms of allergy.
35. Tuscan Natural Pet Food Simply Pure Lamb Meal Dog Food Recipe
This is a limited-ingredient budget-friendly option creates especially for allergic and over-sensitive canines. The product contains the bare minimum of ingredients. The number #1 component is lamb meal made of real lamb meat, which is a hypoallergenic source of animal protein. Farm-grown vegetables contain vitamins and fiber. Olive oil is a source of essential fatty acids.
- lamb meal & rice;
- vegetables and natural olive oil;
- a low-allergen product.
36. WAG Amazon Brand Dry Dog Food
This is a low-budget option of natural grain-free dog food. It contains up to 35% of animal protein (real meat + meat meal). Vegetables, such as peas and vegetables, serve as a source of fiber and carbohydrates. The product is available in four flavors. It doesn’t contain wheat, soy, and corn. Its formula is also free of fillers and taste modifiers.
- 35% of animal protein;
- vegetable components are rich in antioxidants;
- a grain-free formula.
37. PS for Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food
Food allergy has many annoying symptoms, and one of the most irritating of them is itching. If your pup constantly scratches itself try this natural hypoallergenic recipe. The food is made of air-dried meat of high quality. It is free of common allergens, including grains, potatoes, and chicken.
- a hypoallergenic formula;
- prevents itching and paw licking;
- high-grade genuine meat as #1 component.
38. AvoDerm Natural Dog Food
This is a good alternative for the dogs sensitive to beef and poultry. The main source of animal protein in this food is salmon, which is also rich in vitamins and fatty acids. Avocado is another valuable ingredient that contains natural oils and has an antioxidant effect. Potatoes is a key source of carbs.
- a hypoallergenic product;
- has a beneficial effect on the immune system;
- contains no cereals.
39. Wellness 95% Chicken Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Dog Food
This is a premium wet food with 95% genuine chicken as the main ingredient. The product is low-allergenic and contains no by-products, fillers, and cereals. It is made without artificial additions, fillers, taste modifiers, and colors.
- all-natural and hypoallergenic;
- a no-grain formula;
- 95% real whole chicken is a source of animal protein.
40. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
Purina products are inexpensive and widely available. If your dog can’t tolerate beef and chicken food well try this salmon & rice solution. Salmon is a source of high-quality animal proteins, while rice and oats are gluten-free easily digestible cereals. The product doesn’t contain wheat, soy, and corn.
- salmon is #1 ingredient;
- no soy, corn, and wheat;
- no soy, corn, and wheat;
41. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Entre Classic Wet Dog Food
Dry dog food is processed differently from wet food. That is why, sometimes, wet options turn out less allergic than dry food with the same composition. This wet food from Purina is an analog of the same-named dry product. Thanks to its milder texture, it is better digested by weak or senior canines.
- salmon & rice formula;
- free of corn, wheat, and soy;
- contains Omega-3 and 6.
42. Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Natural Dry Dog Food
This is not a premium product but it has proven effective for feeding allergic pups. The #1 ingredient is not whole meat but meat meal (lamb). Other components include 2 sorts of rice, chicken fat, beet pulp, and pork flavor. The product is free of gluten, fillers, taste modifiers, and colors.
- only 6 ingredients;
- a low-allergen product;
- lamb meal & rice formula.
43. ROYAL CANIN Canine Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein Dry
If your dog suffers from a severe allergy to proteins, your vet can prescribe hydrolyzed food. This product from Royal Canin is one of the most popular options around. Its main component is soy protein, which is broken down into amino acids. Thanks to this, the food is almost 100% allergen-free.
- a hypoallergenic solution;
- hydrolyzed soy protein is the core ingredient;
- contains Omega-3.
44. I & Love & You – In the Raw ‘Raw Raw Lamb Boom Ba’ Grain Free Dehydrated Dog Food
Raw meat is the best natural food for canines. This food is made under a unique technology of freeze-drying. It comes in the form of flakes that need to be mixed with water before eating. Depending on your pup’s sensitivity, you can use one of the four tastes – chicken, turkey, lamb or beef. The product is free of gluten, fillers, and by-products.
- a unique raw meat formula;
- a high nutritional value, natural meat is #1 ingredient;
- no junk components (fillers, taste modifiers).
45. Olewo Dehydrated Red Beets Dog Food Supplement
Again, this is not a full-fledged dog food but a nutritional supplement. Red beet is known for its unique properties: it acts as a natural antioxidant, has an anti-inflammatory effect, and soothes the symptoms of food allergy. Dehydrated beet can be added to the usual food or given between the meals. It is recommended to weak, allergic or sick pups, especially those who suffer from itching and sore joints.
- 100% natural composition;
- relieves itching and other allergy symptoms;
- improves metabolism.
46. Only Natural Pet EasyRaw Human Grade Dehydrated Raw Dog Food
Thanks to the unique technology of freeze-drying, this food preserves all the benefits of genuine raw meat. It is dehydrated, which means you need to mix it with water to make it edible. Keep in mind that the product contains eggs, oats, and vegetables but no gluten and artificial fillers. All the vegetables are non-GMO.
- genuine raw meat is #1 ingredient;
- needs to be mixed with water;
- contains eggs and oats.
47. The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Minimalist Limited Ingredient Dog Food
Dehydrated food is very convenient to use and economical – all you need is to mix it with water. Its core ingredient is genuine beef of high quality. The product contains no meat meals, by-products, soy, corn, and taste modifiers. It is rich in vitamins and essential micronutrients.
- needs to be mixed with water;
- consists of genuine meat of high quality;
- no by-products, fillers, and cereals.
48. Under The Sun Grain Free Dog Food
With the focus on the quality of ingredients, this dog food is a good option for feeding allergic pups. Its core ingredient is natural lamb meal (lamb is known as a hypoallergenic product.) Additionally, it contains organic vegetables grown on the manufacturer’s own farms. The product is free of junk ingredients, fillers, grains, and by-products.
- lamb meal as the main ingredient;
- high-quality vegetables;
- a grain- and potato-free formula.
49. KetunPet Vegan Dog Food
The idea of feeding dogs with vegan food can appear dubious, and still, some canine owners practice this approach. The food from KetunPet contains zero animal products. This is compensated with a high content of valuable vegetable proteins. The product is low-allergen and contains a lot of essential micronutrients.
- 100% vegan – no animal proteins;
- reduces the risk of allergic reactions and infestation;
- prevents uncontrolled gaining of the body weight.
50. Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food
Sometimes, vegan and vegetarian food is prescribed by vets to the dogs who need a special diet. But it’s not recommended to use it on a regular basis without consulting a vet. This food doesn’t contain animal proteins. They are substituted with vegetables with high protein content.
- no animal products (meat, eggs or dairy);
- potatoes serve as a source of vegetable protein;
- the product is vet-prescribed.
51. Purina HA Hypoallergenic Vegetarian Dog Food
Sometimes, your vet can prescribe your pup to keep a vegetarian diet. Commonly, this type of diet is used as a temporary measure; for example, in order to single out a potential allergen. Purina HA Vegetarian includes just two core components: a non-animal protein source and a carbohydrate source.
- contains no animal products;
- the only source of protein is 100% vegetarian;
- prescribed by a vet.